It’s an overwhelming era to be a marketer and consumer of digital information. The number of channels and devices to consider seems infinite, and the rate of change is only accelerating. The pressure is on for marketers to keep up and reach their audiences wherever they may be in what many call “the age of information overload.” While new social platforms and mobile tactics come and go, one marketing channel has stood the test of time: email.
Email is an effective marketing tool because it allows you to reach a large number of people with a message that is personal and relevant to them. Email marketing can be used to build relationships with customers and prospects, promote your brand and content, generate leads, and drive sales.
There are several reasons why email marketing works:
- You can reach more people. Email allows you to reach a larger audience that is more targeted than other marketing channels. Rather than blasting out your message on a social channel with no sense of who your audience is, you can control who sees your email by segmenting your distribution list.
- You can be personal. Email is a one-to-one channel, which means you can send a message that is tailored to the specific needs and interests of your recipient. With email, you can include a personal note, share content that is relevant to the recipient, or even include a coupon or discount code only they can use.
- You can track results. Email marketing provides valuable data about who is engaging with your message and how. With most email marketing platforms, you can track opens, clicks, unsubscribe requests, and even forwards. This data allows you to improve your email marketing campaigns over time by understanding what works and doesn’t.
- You can automate. Email marketing automation allows you to set up triggered emails that send when a specific action is taken (or not taken) by a recipient. For example, you can automate welcome emails that send when a new subscriber joins your email marketing list or abandoned cart emails that send when someone doesn’t complete a purchase.
- You can save money. Email marketing is cost-effective, especially compared to other marketing channels like paid advertising. Once you have subscriber email addresses in your system, you are free to send as many messages as you like without incurring additional costs. Of course, you want to be sensitive to how often you email your list so as not to lead people to unsubscribe, but email provides an excellent opportunity to stay in touch with your audience without breaking the bank.
- You can scale quickly. This marketing technique is easy to scale as your business grows. As your email list increases, you can simply start sending more messages. And because automation can take care of a lot of the work for you, there’s not a lot of extra effort required to scale up your email marketing efforts.
Email marketing is an effective way to reach your audience, build relationships, and track results. If you’re not using email marketing in your business, now is the time to start. If you are looking for a full-service digital marketing agency to help start or take your email marketing to the next level, reach out to the experts at SteerPoint today.